To become a full member of Australian Football International (AFI), a country must meet the following criteria:
- Play Footy 9s for at least two years as an Associate Member.
- Have a governing body recognised by the government of their country as the sole authority for the sport of Footy 9s.
- Demonstrate the ability to field a competitive team at international level.
- Have at least 4 Footy 9s men’s teams playing in a structured competition.
- Have at least 4 Footy 9s women’s teams playing in a structured competition.
- Have an accreditation program for umpires.
- Have a junior development program.
- Have a functioning administration, including a constitution.
Once a country meets these criteria, it can apply to AFI for full membership.